Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Off topic: Star Trek

This is utterly OT, but I simply must share.
I was looking for a neat Spock quote when I discovered this bit of dialogue from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country:

[Watching a replay of the torpedo hit]

Commander Pavel Chekov: It is Enterprise. We fired.

Captain Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott: That is not possible! All weapons visually accounted for, sir.

Captain Spock: An ancestor of mine maintained that when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. If we did not fire those torpedoes, another ship did.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth," is a word-for-word Holmes quote (SIGN, chapter 6)
You all know what this means, right?
Spock is descended from Holmes! (On his human side, one would have to assume. Although a Vulcan Holmes would be neat...)
Was this common knowledge that I missed out on or something?

So yes, very very off-topic.
But I swear I'll get right back to work, now

2 comments:

  1. Coincidence? That Spock's "ancestor" said a Holmes quote?
    Ineffable twaddle, my dear sir, ineffable twaddle!

    ReplyDelete